|30 days to a stronger butt — the challenge begins now!
Welcome to BuzzFeed’s 30-Day Butt Challenge!
Plus, think of all the time your poor backside spends glued to a seat. All that time sitting means your glutes are getting weaker and therefore less good at all those crucial-to-everyday-life movements mentioned above.
All this is why we asked a fitness expert to put together a month-long challenge to help you strengthen your booty. Lauren Williams, fitness instructor and head coach at Tone House, is here for you. Her plan, created just for BuzzFeed Health, will help get a stronger butt in one month with four moves that are way more fun than doing a zillion squats.
You can add each day’s workout to your current exercise routine, do them at home while you’re watching TV, or even squeeze them into your lunch break.
Keep in mind that form, stability, and control are your priorities throughout the challenge. The goal isn’t to fly through each workout but to perform every single rep with control. So, take breaks as needed, especially when you get towards the end of the challenge. Your butt will need it.
Now, let’s go over the exercises you’ll need to know and the challenge schedule.
Here are the moves you’ll need to know!
Single-leg glute bridge
• Keep your planted foot flat and point your toes forward.
• Push through the heel of the foot that’s on the ground.
• Extend your hips as high as you can while maintaining a neutral neck.
• Squeeze your butt at the top.
• Keep your knees stacked over your ankles.
• Let your knees cave in.
• Push your hips so high that you can’t keep your back in a neutral position.
• Plant your hands under your shoulders.
• Initiate the lift from your butt and hamstring.
• Lift your leg till it’s about parallel with your hip.
• Maintain a neutral neck and flat back.
• Use momentum to move your leg.
• Let your back arch.
• Keep your core engaged.
• Make sure your hips are facing forward.
• Keep your upper body relaxed.
• Use your glutes to power your kick.
• Kick higher than you can while maintaining control.
• Engage your core.
• Keep your standing leg slightly bent.
• Maintain a neutral neck and keep your hips in line with your shoulders.
• Think about staying tall and keeping your chest lifted.
• Lower only as deep as your flexibility allows.
• Pull yourself back to standing using the hamstring of your planted leg.
• Lock out the knee of your standing leg.
• Reach for the floor by leading with your fingertips; concentrate on hinging at the hips instead.
• Try to touch the floor if your flexibility will not allow it.
And here’s the challenge schedule!
Important note: For all moves, 1 rep = both sides.
Day 1: 10 reps of each move
Day 2: 10 reps of each move
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: 10 reps of each move
Day 5: 10 reps of each move
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: 15 reps of each move
Day 8: 15 reps of each move
Day 9: Rest
Day 10: 15 reps of each move
Day 11: 15 reps of each move
Day 12: Rest
Day 13: 20 reps of each move
Day 14: 20 reps of each move
Day 15: Rest
Day 16: 20 reps of each move
Day 17: 20 reps of each move
Day 18: Rest
Day 19: 25 reps of each move
Day 20: 25 reps of each move
Day 21: Rest
Day 22: 25 reps of each move
Day 23: 25 reps of each move
Day 24: Rest
Day 25: 30 reps of each move
Day 26: 30 reps of each move
Day 27: Rest
Day 28: 30 reps of each move
Day 29: 30 reps of each move
Day 30: Celebrate your strong butt!
Don’t worry — we’ll be sending you an email every few days with reminders and encouragement to help you breeze through the challenge.
So get ready, because the butt challenge begins tomorrow!
More from BuzzFeed
111 E. 18th St.
New York, NY 10003